Friday, February 25, 2011

Death


THEN
Life was tough, tough on the streets,
And for life, they had front seats.
No glitter, no shine, no polished sheen
For the young family and now man of sixteen

They would wander from place to place
And thus sit out those cruel days
Scavenged dustbins for dregs of food
And that was the best that they really could.

But nights were tougher, longer,
Icy calm would prove stronger
Then all clothes they could manage
Suffering impossible to guage

Despite cruelty, they still went on,
Waiting in desperation for the next morn
It could be better, it could be worse,
It didn’t matter, life was a curse

And on a night that spoke of death itself
His father did so to a leaving  life
He still clung on to trembling shackles
Pleading his son for a new miracle

And the son cringed, it was beyond him
His father slipped to a comatose dream
It wasn’t right, It wasn’t fair
He screamed in silent despair

NOW

Its been four and thirty years now
And how I managed, only I know
Now rich, but clinging to some roots
Has led my labors to the sweetest fruits

But whatever I do, wherever I am
I know my entire life is a sham
‘Cause it still feels like yesterday
When I knelt down at father’s side to pray

I have children now, and they live
And through them my childhood I relive
They are happy and content, I think
But my sanity is on the brink

It used to be hard, and still is
Only hard work and what luck gives
It could be better, It could be worse
It doesn’t matter, Life’s still a curse

And as I now lie, a last sigh
In the best bed that money can buy
And now I know I have to die
But death my son hopes to defy

And as consciousness slips away from me
And as grieving family sits beside my knees
It is not right, It is not fair
My son screams in silent despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment